CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, June 2, 2011

I just need a break!

I debated whether or not to blog about this, and finally decided "what the heck!"

I am confused about how school districts decide who they are going to interview and hire when it comes to a job opening. I have heard of two schools in my district recently that have hired teachers from out of the district and out of state. Why do I not even get an interview for these positions? They are positions for which I am highly qualified and certified for. Another school district has a position on their job vacancy list but is only looking for "experienced" teachers.

Yes, I changed careers in mid-life. Yes, I am dedicated to the teaching profession. I student taught in a third grade class two years ago. I have volunteered nearly 100 hours each of the last three years in an elementary school (the one I student taught in). I have worked as a private summer tutor. I have worked as a reading tutor. I have worked in an after school program for two years. I have long-term subbed as both a media clerk and an ESOL teacher. I also work as a substitute teacher. I am committed, dedicated, and reliable. I am working on my masters degree because I want to be the best teacher I can be, and be as prepared for the classroom as I can.

Does it matter that I have never taught full-time in a classroom? I don't think so. I come from a retail management background. I know how to manage assets, set up displays, recruit, handle employee issues. I can handle classroom time management, creating a pleasing workspace for students, helping children become great students and citizens. Seriously, working with adults was worse than working with kids!

I am so ready for a classroom - I just need a break! Let me get my foot in the door and prove what an asset I can be to a school and the students that learn there!!!

2 comments:

Teachers Market said...

Colleen, that's a tough situation. You are very qualified for the job and continue on furthering your education, which I think says so much. I have never taught full-time either, so I am not knowledgeable in teaching interviews, but with most job interviews, it pays to follow up when you have submitted a resume for an interview. I would definitely call them and see when they will be interviewing. And stick to the fact that you are experienced both in the classroom and through your studies! Something will turn up and I know that's easier to say than to believe when you're in the midst of applying to jobs, but it will work out for you! I'm excited for you! Good luck and let us know when you get your job!

Colleen said...

Thanks for the support! Unfortunately I didn't even know about the two open positions until after they were filled. And I always do a follow-up call 24 hours after an interview. The problem here is that there are so many people looking for teaching jobs it is nearly impossible to get an interview. Bummer!